Karnataka has rich with the tradition of folk arts culture. Janapada Loka is situated just 53 km away from the Bangalore city on Bangalore - Mysore Highway(SH-17). Janapada Loka is situated just 6 kms away Ramanagaram City in Ramanagaram District.
Janapada Loka has been founded by Nage Gowda with the help of Karnataka Janapada Parishath, Nage Gowda is a famous Kannada folklorist and author.He set up the Karnataka Janapada Academy in 1979 to Preserve our Folk Culture. In 1986 he started work on this Janapada Loka and it was opened on 12th March 1994.Now it is Maintained By Karnataka Janapada Parishath.
Janapada Loka main aim is to highlight the rural life in Karnataka.Janapada Loka is recognized Bangalore university As a Research center related to folk art or Janapada. Janapada Loka conducts classes, issues Diploma Certificate and Janapada Certificate courses.
Janapada Loka spread over 15 acres of land and it gives gives you a blend of nature, folk art and Rural style of Karnataka. Janpada Loka has museums, an open-air theatre, a studio and other structures.In The museum We can see the life and arts of a tribal and rural folk in Karnataka, It has an amazing collection of 5000 artefacts that represent the need of Karnataka's folk culture. Also, the Muesum display a traditional dresses like Koduva Traditional dress, Dasaiah Traditional dress, Kinnari Jogi Traditional dress, Doddata costumes, Yakshagana costumes and Lambani costumes.
Janpada Loka Conducts an annual festival of performances like the Lokotsava. Special performances during Dasara attract people. Workshops on folk songs, seminars and others activities involving folk art and music like Dollu Kunitha, Karagada Kunitha, Rangada Kunitha, Burrakatha, Karapala, Kolaata are conducted in Janapada Loka.
In Janpada Loka you Can see The Following Places
1. Loka Sarovara: It is an artificial lake created with sand beaches and many plants at the corners. But Unfortunately now the peddle boats are not in use.
2. Video theatre: Located behind the open air theatre, the video theatre offers a big screen and seat to view videos/documentaries on folk art.
3. Saraswathi Mandira: Located near to Loka Sarovara (lake), Saraswathi Mandir is a two storied building. It houses life size dolls, carved pillars etc collected from various parts of Karnataka. Classes are conducted here for students.
4. Loka Mahal: Loka Mahal is a two storied museum featuring Yakshagana artists, Coorgi couples, various old weapons, utensils, local musical instruments, masks etc. This place has also large collection of artifacts from Dakshina Kannada (south Canara) and Udupi.
5. Lokamatha mandira: This is another museum little away from the entrance. It features crop cultivation in Karnataka. It also puts on display storage bins, utensils used in cooking etc. It also houses a large statue of the founder H.L. Nage Gowda.
6. Mahadwara: The door at the main entrance is an excellent display of combination of local artifacts bearing horns, trumpets and Harige etc.
7. Chitra Kuteera
9. Open air theatre
11.Dodda Mane: A community hall which can hired for workshops, seminars, weddings and festivities at a nominal rent. It has well equipped kitchen.
Route: Bangalore – Mysore road – Ramnagaram – Janapada Loka (Bangalore – Mysore highway SH-17
Where to stay: For people related to folk art room available on prior booking in janapada loka.
Where to eat In KAMAT LOKARUCHI Modeled on a village house complete with a cowshed and cows, this restaurant serves typical home food like Ragi dosa, Mudde, Idli and meals served on banana leaf.
Language spoken: Kannada, Hindi, English
Entry fee: Rs 10 per person, Kids – Rs 5
Camera fees: Rs 100, charged only if you wish to take pictures inside the museums
Video show – Rs 5
Timings: 9.00 am To 5.30 pm, Tuesday holiday
Ramnagaram - 571 511
Karnataka Janapada Parishathh
No.1, Jaladarshini layout
Next to Ramiaha hospital main gate
New BEL Road, Bengaluru-5600054
Phone- Office No.: 080-23605033
Visit this place to preserve our culture and know more about Janapada Joka and our Rural life.
Prasad C M