Udupi in coastal Karnataka - Temple city and Educational Hub
Udupi is in the south western coastal region of Karnataka, what is called as Tulunad region which consists of Dakshina Kannada and Uttara Kannada districts. Mangalore is the main city which is only 55 kms from Udupi. The educational hub of Manipal, famous for T.M.A Pai institutes including medical colleges lie very close to Udupi. Udupi lies in the western coastal highway NH 66 which connects Mumbai suburb of Panvel to Cochin/Kochi in Kerala.
Udupi, Karnataka has a pleasant climate for a greater part of the year, so you can visit just about anytime and explore the main tourist attractions of Udupi, Karnataka. Of course, if you hate getting drenched, then avoid the heavy monsoon months of July-August!
Best Times to Visit Udupi Karnataka
The best times to visit Udupi, Karnataka is during the time of major festivals.
1. Makara Sankranti Festival: This festival is celebrated on January 14th every year. It is truly a magnificent sight to see the idols of the three main temples – Krishna Mutt, Chandramouleshwara Temple and Sri Ananthesvara Temple – being taken in a grand procession by devout followers. You must stay for the entire duration of the Makar Sankranti festival, as on the seventh day, a special aarthi is conducted at the Madhava Sarovar holy tank. This aarti is part of the Brahma Rathotsavam festival which takes place during the Makara Sankranti festival.
2. Krishna Janmashtami: This is the day when devotees of Lord Krishna celebrate His birth. Visit Udupi Karnataka during August-September after confirming the exact date of Krishna Janmashtami and be part of the grand celebrations at the main attraction at Udupi – the Krishna Mutt. The festival generally covers 2 days, beginning at midnight of the first day.
How to Reach Udupi, Karnataka by Air
1. The nearest airport to Udupi, Karnataka is the Mangalore International Airport. Formerly called the Bajpe Airport, the Mangalore International Airport is located in the town of Bajpe.
Flights to Mangalore International Airport:
(i) Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines operate flights from Bangalore to Mangalore International Airport.
(ii) Kingfisher Airlines operates flights from Chennai & Cochin to Mangalore International Airport.
(iii) Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines, Indian, and Air-India Express operate flights from Mumbai to Mangalore International Airport.
Udupi is about 60kms from Mangalore via NH17.
2. You can also catch a flight from most major cities in India to Bengaluru International Airport and from there travel by road to Udupi, Karnataka. Udupi is 415kms from Bangalore via NH17.
How to Reach Udupi, Karnataka by Train
The town of Udupi is connected by train to major cities in Karnataka, including Bangalore, Mangalore and Mysore. You can take any train which goes to Udupi Railway station.
How to Reach Udupi, Karnataka by Road
You can either hire a private car or taxi from Mangalore, Bangalore, or Mysore, or board one of the KSRTC buses which frequently ply between these cities and Udupi.
Accommodation in Udupi Udupi is one of the most economical places to stay in Karnataka, as compared to Bangalore and Mysore. Within a limited budget you can truly enjoy a comfortable stay with meals in Udupi, Karnataka.
Budget Accommodations in Udupi, Karnataka
1. Karavali Hotel: You can book a non-A/C deluxe room for just Rs.450/- and an A/C Double room (non-deluxe) for Rs. 850/-. For an extra person or an extra bed in the room, the charge is Rs. 150/-. There are 2 in-house restaurants, serving both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food, and a cocktail bar.
Contact Information of Karavali Hotel, Udupi:
Address: NH17, Udupi, -576103.
Phone Number of Karavali Hotel, Udupi: +91 820 2522860/ 2522851
2. Hotel Durga International: Room rates range from Rs. 400/- to Rs. 700/-. The in-house multi cuisine restaurant serves Indian, Chinese and Continental vegetarian and non-vegetarian food.
Contact Information of Hotel Durga International, Udupi:
No. 114, near City Bus Stand,
Udupi – 576101
Phone Number of Hotel Durga International, Udupi: 2536971 / 72/73
3. Hotel Udupi Residency: The room charges are from Rs.450/- for a non-A/c Single Room to Rs. 1200/- for an A/C Deluxe room (tax extra). All rooms have attached baths and cable television and Internet access. The Tanjore restaurant serves traditional Udupi cuisine as well as Mughlai and Chinese cuisine.
Contact Information of Hotel Udupi Residency, Udupi :
near Service Bus Stand, opp. Shankar Vittal Garage,
Udupi – 576101.
Phone Number of Hotel Udupi Residency, Udupi: 0820-2530005 / 2530107
Note: The author of this article is not endorsing any of the Hotels mentioned above, but merely giving information on various accommodations in Udupi, Karnataka. The reader is advised to confirm room charges & taxes before booking.
Have a Happy Stay in Udupi, Karnataka!